Friday, March 26, 2010

The Drive-Thru Lanes

Drive-thru's were invented for quick and simple convenience, they are supposed to be used for quick and simple transactions and that's all folks, anything else is to be handled in the lobby at the front counter.

For example, today on my way home from work, I stopped at the bank drive-thru to deposit a check, a quick, simple transaction, just like the majority of the rest of the people in the lines. As I pull in there are a couple of other cars following me in, so I pull into the closest lane behind a truck, my first clue that something was going to be bad were the out of state plates on it, of course by the time I realize this, I'm hemmed in by all the other cars that pulled in behind me. As I sit there and watch several cars come and go in the lanes next to me, this guy is carrying on a conversation with the teller, which is not only delaying me, it's also slowing down the other lanes as well, because now the other teller is having to handle not only her two lines, but also the second line of the first teller. I just had to sit there and watch as the carrier traveled back and forth during their several minute discussion. This is not how it's supposed to work.

This is how it's supposed to go.

1. Pull in, put your paperwork in the carrier and send it up.
2. Teller greets you and asks if there's anything else they can do.
3. You reply "No thank you."
4. Teller response with a perky "Have a nice day" comment
5. The carrier comes back and you retrieve the contents and drive off.

It's that simple people, nothing more complicated than that should be done at a drive thru, if the conversation has to be more that a couple of short sentences, you should park and go into the lobby and talk to a teller face to face.

And one other thing, have your stuff in order. My stops at the bank on the way home are planned, so before I leave work, I sit down at my desk and get my stuff in order, I make sure my check is endorsed, I fill out the deposit slip and put it all together, ready to pull out as soon as I pull up to the drive thru, that way it takes the minimum amount of time and I don't delay the other patrons of the drive thru lane who are also in a big hurry to get home and plop their butt in front of the TV for the night.

OK, are we all clear on this subject?

Maybe next time I will give my opinion on the chuckle head that has an issue with just ordering a #2 off the quick menu at a fast food drive thru.

No comments: