Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday ?

Well, it was a pretty good friday for me, I'm not really the religious type so I didn't even realize it was Good Friday untill Jeannie at the shop mentioned it. I finished working on a custom softtail this morning, it had a rats' nest wiring job under the seat, I had talked to the owner late last summer when he had bought it and told him then that he might have some problems with it. The bike is in really nice shape otherwise and he did get a good deal on it. He managed to make it through the end of last season without too many problems, but he brought it to the shop earlier this year for us to fix a couple a bugs. One of them was the tail/brake light, it was acting funky. We had the shop kid start on it yesterday, thinking it was just a loose wire, but after a bit of fooling around with it, the boss put him on something else and had me take over. After I got it on my lift, the sparks started flying literally, I managed to get the battery unhooked before it exploded. The way the battery was sitting in the bike it was able to tip forward, the positive cable didn't have any protection on it and it welded itself to the oil tank, not a good thing. LOL After that little incident the decision was made just to rewire the rear end of the bike. After a little wiring tracing and marking I ended up cutting out a bunch of wire, about a dozen scotch-locks and three of the four load equalizers I found, leaving just one mounted up under the dash. This morning I finished up re-routing and cleaning things up, it all looks good and actually works, and now I've got three spare load equalizers in my toolbox to boot. LOL

The job I started this afternoon is a pretty straight-forward one, changing out stock parts with shiny go-fast chrome ones on the front end of a fatboy. Of course I won't be able to finish it this weekend, I'm still waiting on the new rims to come in, but I'll get done what I can.

Started working on Sweety's V-Star tonight, I bought a set of hard bags for Old Blu' but I decided that they didn't look right after getting them and they've sat on a shelf for a while. I got to looking at them the other day and decided that they were the right size for her V-Star. So tonight I started working on the mounting brackets, I managed to get things figured out so that I only have to make four tabs and two support bars to get the racks mounted. Now all I have to do is fix the couple minor problems with the bags and repaint them to match her bike, do a little rewiring, rework the license plate mount since I'm removing the stock turn signals, etc., etc., etc., just another simple job. LOL

Well, that's about it for tonight, time to hit the shower and then crash for the night. Asta!

1 comment:

Cornbread said...

Those bags aren't the ones with the scallops molded into them? If they are, those are some damn sharp looking bags from the pic's you sent me one time.